Wednesday, August 10, 2016

REVIEW : Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn (DNF)

Seventeen-year-old Mercedes Ayres has an open-door policy when it comes to her bedroom, but only if the guy fulfills a specific criteria: he has to be a virgin. Mercedes lets the boys get their awkward fumbling first times over with, and all she asks in return is that they give their girlfriends the perfect first time-the kind Mercedes never had herself.
Keeping what goes on in her bedroom a secret has been easy - so far. Her mother isn't home nearly enough to know about Mercedes' extracurricular activities, and her uber-religious best friend, Angela, won't even say the word "sex" until she gets married. But Mercedes doesn't bank on Angela's boyfriend finding out about her services and wanting a turn - or on Zach, who likes her for who she is instead of what she can do in bed.
When Mercedes' perfect system falls apart, she has to find a way to salvage her own reputation -and figure out where her heart really belongs in the process. Funny, smart, and true-to-life, Laurie Elizabeth Flynn's Firsts is a one-of-a-kind young adult novel about growing up.

RELEASE DATE : JANUARY 5, 2016

Let me start by saying that this DNF isn't for the writing. I actually think it was well done. It was just a little TOO well done for me. (cont)

I guess I can say that Firsts was a bit of a trigger for me. I grew up much like Mercedes, having to hide my acceptance of sexuality and play that role of "innocent."

As I continued with the book and Mercedes furthering her scorecard, I could feel my own anxiety building at the thought of when her world would come crashing down. The loss of friends, the loss of confidence, and the attacks she would possibly face. I just had to put it down. I hope to be able to pick it back up again because I have heard wonderful things. For now though, it'll be in my freezer near my cookie dough ice cream waiting for my fear to subside.

Firsts: A Novel by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn via @amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment